We all know that starting and exercise program can be very stressful and intimidating. The good news is that we rounded up some great tips to make getting started with fitness successful, sustainable, and fun.
- Ask “Why”- consider the question, “why do you want to exercise?” The more you can connect with exercise the easier it is to achieve your fitness goals for the long haul. We all want six-pack abs, toned arms, blah blah blah. Try and dig deeper into those goals. Long term happiness, staying healthy, improving performance will probable be stronger motivators that six-pack abs.
- Ask “Why Not”- find what is getting in your way, identify that, and get over it! IT is important to recognize your personal roadblocks and figure out specific ways to work around them.
- “Attack Your Fears” with baby steps- Taking the first step is always the most difficult. A baby need to learn to walk before he/she learns to run. The same is true for starting a fitness program for the first time. Start mall even if it means taking a break from the computer screen and going for a walk around the block. Build off of that. The next day, try walking around the block twice. Building off of these small goals will eventually lead to long term success.
- Goals, Goals, Goals- be smart about your goal setting. Make sure you set goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound. For example, this might mean attending 6 fitness classes/month, walking 2 times/week and eliminating a part of your everyday diet that will inhibit you from reaching your fitness goals.
- Make it fun- Find an activity thats enjoyable. One that you know you will be able to stick with. Remember it doesnt matter what you do. If you choose walking, weight training, pilates, cycling, the list can go on forever. There is not a once size fits all workout. I hate that certain fitness professionals will knock other specific fitness programs that they are not associated with. Who cares what you do. Just go out and do what makes you happy.
- Keep it simple- there is a lot of fitness information out there and it might be very confusing to someone that is new to fitness. Its not rocket science. Just get up and move. Its as simple as that!
Keep these tips in mind if you are thinking about starting a fitness program. Remember the hardest step to take is the first step!